Skip to main content

We All Have a Story (Shhh – Listen)


The other day we did something we enjoy doing – danced at the Ormond Beach Senior Center.  The ballroom dance is every Wednesday afternoon from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm.  It is all very, very structured.  You arrive, pay $5, and find seats along the side of the dance floor.  The live band, The Blue Notes, plays the same songs (as far as we can tell) every week.  They play the classics –“Stardust”, “Fly Me to the Moon”, and for the ever present “line dance” they play “New York, New York” (which, in case you have never line danced (i.e. – done the Electric Slide to it) goes on for an infernally long time.  After each dance you clap a bit and then dutifully return to your seat.  The band starts the next song, and you go back out and fox trot or waltz or what have you. 

Cutting a rug at a dance in 2011
Then, exactly halfway through the afternoon, THERE ARE SNACKS.   You line up as if you were in elementary school again and fill your little paper plate with store made cakes or odd pimento cheese sandwich quarters, then sit in your seat and rest while the hostess calls out the lucky winners of the half and half raffle in her sweet Irish accent.  Never, ever are you allowed a snack or a small cup of iced tea before the break.  Why, that just is not polite (I learned that the hard way one time).  The break is also the time they call out BIRTHDAYS of the month, bring the celebrants up front, and sing to them.  It is lovely.

Taking a spin on the dance floor - December 2014
 This week was a bit different because it is so close to Christmas – the Blue Notes played HOLIDAY SONGS.  It was terrific!  The band likes to do fun costume changes, so this week it was Santa hats and reindeer antler headbands for some numbers. 

The Blue Notes
Anyway, we are always the “youngest” people there (and we are members of AARP, mind you!).  We love to dance but only get to do it at wedding receptions every 5 years or so, so when we are in Ormond Beach on a Wednesday and not working we try to go to the Senior Center to cut a rug.  We even have specially purchased “dance clothes” in the closet here just for Wednesdays (and I have dance shoes, though this week I wore flats).  We just get out there on that dance floor and make stuff up, laughing and laughing.  We may not be the BEST dancers, but we sure have fun.  We try and mimic some Dancing with the Stars moves, which somehow do not look as slick on us as they do on the B list “stars” on the show.

The very, verrrrry long line dance they do every single week to "New York, New York" (it's the Electric Slide)
 But as nice and fun as the dance is, it is also really makes me think.  There is one woman who used to LOVE to see us come in, would come over and talk and talk to us.  I still smile and wave at her when we enter, but she seems to have dementia and has no idea who we are now.  There are people so stooped over they only see their FEET, and yet they DANCE.  One time a van load of seniors came from a facility and one of them sat on the sidelines and drummed and drummed (on a chair) the entire time, as if he was part of the band.  There are many people there alone because they are widowed.  Women sometimes dance with women – simply because there are more women to go around J

And there is HILTON.  Each time we go, I hold my breath when we enter and I scan the room to see if Hilton is there.  We were there the time they celebrated his 99th birthday.  And now he is 101.  He seems to come to the dance every week.  He sometimes dances (which at this point means swaying a bit), but more often plays his tambourine or, better still, his LIGHT UP maracas in front of the stage.   For one song this week he stared at the band very reverently and moved his arms as if to conduct them.  It was beautiful. 

Hilton with his tambourine - December 2014
Hilton was a famous musician.  We have talked to him a few times and he is quite the character.  He used to play saxophone with Xavier Cougat, Tito Puente, and other famous bands.  This week he told me where he got his shirt – it was from DON HO, who gave the whole band shirts and matching jackets (it was too hot to wear the jacket this week, rats).  (He told us a bit secretly that Don Ho did a lot of drugs but was a nice man.)  He had a fancy walker this week and told us of a recent mini stroke.  He regaled David with stories of his 3 wives (the first served him coffee in a glass…).  He told of parties with Desi Arnez (Hilton danced with the movie star Rita Hayworth, but said that Lucille Ball was also a great dancer!).  He is from Puerto Rico, and I mentioned that we love eating MOFONGO (a popular local dish) when we go there.  That made him light up – mofongo is one of his favorites!  He told us of his son dying recently (at “only” age 68) because he didn’t take good care of himself and smoke and drank.  He told of dinner parties with Marilyn, as in MARILYN MONROE, who he reported was quiet and very, very beautiful. 

Hilton with his light up maracas, December 2011
I guess what I think is, you see Hilton on the street or in a store somewhere, you think he is a hunched over old man.  But if you pause and TALK to Hilton, to really listen to him above the non-stop ballroom music in the background, and you are reminded that we all have a story.  We all have things to share.  And we just want people to listen. 

When I am old (and I doubt I ever make it to 101) I hope that people will listen.  I hope that I can still “shake my maracas” and laugh.  I hope that I can remember my stories and find people to share them with.


And I know that one Wednesday we will arrive at the dance and Hilton won’t be there.  It will be sad.  But I am glad we got to meet him, listen to him, and smile at his tambourine and maracas.  Thanks Hilton.  

Hilton, age 101, wearing a shirt given to him by Don Ho, December 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and