Skip to main content

Giving Warmth - How Will YOU Help?

Help someone today.

You don’t need a lot to be helpful – you just need intention
You don’t need to be rich – let the rich people help with MONEY.  Find something YOU can help with.

·         Is it time?  Do you have TIME that you could put aside to volunteer for an organization?
·         Is it a talent?  Can you play the piano and entertain nursing home residents?
·         Is it a resource?  Are you willing to donate blood at the Red Cross?
·         Is it a skill?  Can you cook a meal for a hungry neighbor?

This winter I am helping others by giving WARMTH.  For the past few years I have collected sweaters, coats, mittens, hats, and scarves to hand out to homeless people.  I get many of them from the group Freecycle.  David and I sometimes make coffee and tea, pack up the warm gear, and go around Washington DC and hand out sweaters, etc.  People who receive them are always really thankful.

But I got to thinking – there are people in my own neighborhood, that walk right by my house, that could use warm clothing.  So I started a little project.  Every cold day, I put one item on a hanger and place it on our front gate.  I started with a warm lined jacket I had gotten after I requested warm clothing to give away on Freecycle.  A woman had cleaned out her neighbor’s apartment after he died and she gave me 2 or 3 bags full of warm clothes, which I washed up and folded.  So I put one of that man’s jackets on our front gate, along with a sign explaining that it was free, and if you were cold it was YOURS.  And to please pass it along to someone else when you were done with it. 

Giving WARMTH - a sweater on our front gate for whoever needs it
It was out there a few hours, and then I heard some people talking.  I peeked out the window and it was a young couple with a small child.  It seemed like they were considering taking it, but the woman said, “No, you should leave it for a homeless person”.  I thought that was so touching!  It was a freezing night, they were out walking in the dark (probably had gotten off a bus and were walking home).  They clearly COULD have used the jacket.  Yet the woman knew that someone else could have used it even more.  It was not long after they left it that someone else (I didn’t see who) took it.  I was happy to see it was gone.

The next day I put out a sweatshirt with the same sign.  As we pulled out of the driveway, we saw a man who looked like he may be a day laborer take it with him.  It made me smile – day laborers stand out in the cold waiting for work for so long, I was glad to think he had one more layer of clothing to 
protect him.                                                                            

Sign for gate with changeable item labels
Today I gave away a sweater.  The person who took it also took the hanger (even though my note asks people to leave it) and the note.  So, I have made a new note and rustled up another hanger.  Tomorrow’s item, a thick, warm brown knit stocking cap, is ready to go. 

Sometimes I feel guilty getting things on Freecycle.  I feel like other people probably need them more than me.  But I guess I am a bit of a “middle woman” – driving around and collecting the warm gear, washing it, and re-gifting it to people who need it. 

I don’t tell you this story to boast.  I tell you this story to inspire YOU to find what YOU can do to help someone.  If you do, I promise it will make you smile.  As they say in a song in the show “Avenue Q”, “When you help others, you can’t help helping yourself”. 

Warm hat - ready for a new owner
 P.S. – here is a link to the “Avenue Q” song I mentioned in case you are humming it in your head now.  The song, like the show, it totally irreverent and lovely.  Please understand that the message of the song, doing unto others makes YOU feel better, is a true statement, but should (hopefully!) not be the sole reason to help others J  The audio on this version is not great but it is captioned:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNTCaiA2dhA


P.P.S. – here is a link to another applicable song that I like, “Lean on Me” – and this is a really cool version of it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiouJsnYytI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and