Skip to main content

My Marriage


Marriage is for procreation.
Really?  THAT is your argument?  That marriage’s sole purpose is to repopulate our country?  If it weren’t such an offensive “debate” point, I would probably laugh.

I am a supporter of equal rights.  EQUALITY, to me, is a founding principle of civility.  Equal rights for ALL – women, people of color, immigrants, and yes – the LGBT community.  I do not, cannot, understand how those opposed to equality can choose to ignore our country’s recent past; when interracial couples were not allowed to marry, African Americans had to drink from separate water fountains, and women – our Great-Aunts and Grandmothers – were not allowed to vote.   What has erased these sad parts of our history in their minds and made it “okay” for them to replicate the discrimination now?  How is it even DEBATABLE that all Americans should or should not be treated equally? 
Now back to their “argument”.  Marriage is for procreation.  So my marriage is not valid.  Not correct.  Not appropriate.  Inadequate.  Not LEGAL??

Screw you.  Marriage is not about bringing more children into the world.  Marriage is about LOVE.  About laughter.  And kindness.  Respect.  Discovery.  And travel, exploration, tenderness, caring, and a million other things.  Children can be one of those things, but they are NOT a requirement.  And my marriage is not a sham. 
You know what IS a sham?  That those on the side of hatred think they can get away with this.  That they think their narrow minded definition of what is “right” is what should guide our country.  THEY ARE WRONG.  And if DOMA does not get overturned in this go round, it WILL EVENTUALLY.  Because my marriage is not a sham, and neither are those of gay and lesbian couples.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and