Skip to main content

This is 53


So, this is 53.
Birthday SUP - first time out on the paddleboards this year
I don’t believe in New Year’s Resolutions – but if I DID believe in making promises to yourself that you wanted to keep for a whole year – I would do them on my BIRTHDAY instead of New Year’s.  A birthday is something personal.  It is YOUR day.  It is a clean slate.  A new beginning.  Starting fresh.

It's nearly impossible to use a camera timer and get two people in one SUPing photo... 
That didn't stop up from trying!
But instead of resolutions about what I will do going forward, I think it would be wise to take a look backward and see what 52 (and the years before that) may have taught me.

I have been open and honest – 2018 SUCKED.  It was a very hard year for my entire family.  It started with David breaking his collar bone, which turned out to be the very least of our worries and poor David in his arm sling was tossed to the bottom of the care taking priority pile rather quickly once my sister got diagnosed with brain cancer.  Then came Dad’s heart issues, heart attack, surgery, and death. 

So yeah, age 52 sorta bit the big one.

But 52 did teach me some things, and reinforced beliefs I had held previously but not really expressed to others (or myself perhaps).

At 52, I was an open book.  I have always worn my heart on my sleeve (oh my, two idioms in one paragraph, I am sorry).  But at 52, I realized more than ever that it was ok to SHARE my story.  Whatever was happening in my life, good or bad, if I was able to write about it, photograph it, SHARE IT, the burden seemed to not only be on me, but many friends stepped in to help to lift it.  If I communicated (usually through writing) openly and honestly, people didn’t judge (as a younger me may have feared).  Instead, they shared that they, too, had thought, felt, experienced, worried about the same things.  Suddenly, I was not alone.  And by sharing my voice I think I helped others realize that they were not alone, either.  Being able to write and post openly and honestly helped me make it though a difficult year (and saved me thousands in therapy bills – thank you for reading and being so supportive!).

At 52, I was better at advocating for myself.  Instead of keeping quiet and letting situations, people, experiences upset me and bring me down, I was better able to speak up.  I still fear and avoid conflict, but when it comes up now, I am better at taking a breath and speaking my mind.  (Case in point is the cemetery worker who got an earful (or 2…) from me last week when he treated me very disrespectfully.  A younger me would have kept quiet and accepted his rudeness, but (sadly for him…) 52 year old me let ‘er rip.)

At 52, I realized that my house will never be organized or clean.  My house is a reflection of me – messy, full of unfinished ideas and projects, and well lived in.  You won’t find a lot of “fluff” – no decorative throw pillows and the like.  But you will find piles of papers, half painted paintings, and suitcases waiting to be unpacked.  If that’s not to your liking, my house is probably not the best place for you to visit.  Let’s meet at the coffee shop instead!

And at 52, I was reminded that life is short.  That we should take every opportunity to hug a friend or loved one.  To call a parent just to chat.  To eat a big ol’ piece of pie.  Because tomorrow is not guaranteed, and if you do not celebrate today, that is 24 hours that will not come again.

At 53 you will see me celebrate.  You will see me cry.  And you will see me love.  I am both excited and nervous for what this year has to bring – but I say – BRING IT ON.  Let’s do this.

LET'S DO IT!


Birthday selfie with my love


Comments

Anonymous said…
I love you so!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and

Black Beans

Lots of my mind.   A miles long “to do” list with more that needs added to it swirling in my head.   Decisions to be made.   Laundry to be done.   Suitcases to unpack.   A. DAY.   OFF.   WORK. “Should” use the time wisely to focus on getting things accomplished.   “Should” triage the to-dos and focus on steadily checking them off.   Should, should, should, should, should. Instead, I slept in.   Woke up around 10:30 am, tossed around the bed a bit thinking I “should” go back to sleep.   No, I “should” get up.   What is the deal with all of these should s ?? Then I heard someone on the front porch.   That’s not that unusual – could be someone dropping off donations for the free pantry, an Amazon delivery, someone picking something up that I offered on Buy Nothing. The doorbell rang.   I peeked out the blinds – it was my artist friend.   She has been coming to work here daily for the last month and a half in preparation for the big Kindness Fundraiser Yard Sale.   She

Mary Day 2023 (Call Your Mother)

I am a firm believer in HOLIDAYS.   Like, all holidays. They don’t have to be events tied to your religious belief.   They don’t have to be things celebrated in your country.   They are just holidays .   Days to celebrate, to mourn, to eat, to party – whatever tradition dictates.   HOLIDAYS. And I am perfectly fine inventing holidays.   No, not the lame ones that greeting card companies try and get people to buy into.   And no, not the “national cotton candy day” types invented just to fill space on the calendar. But significant, important holidays . One of my most sacred is Mary Day.   I celebrate it every October 20 th .   Mary Day is the anniversary of my mom, Mary Eleanor Thompson’s, death in 2002.   My mom and dad at Christmas in the basement of the house I grew up in on Borman Street  Wow – this October 20 th was the 21 st Mary Day celebration.   It is hard to believe it has been that long. Anyway, the traditional way that I celebrate Mary Day is b