Skip to main content

Happy Mary Day

We all have events that change our lives, events that are earthshattering enough that they change how our internal calendars work.  You know, the events that are etched in our minds and we count years as “pre-the event” and “post-the event”. 


The first major one in my internal calendar is the day my mom died.  Mary Day.


October 20, 2002.


20 years ago today.

 

We got the news that she was dying on another day that changed my internal calendar, and the internal calendars of most Americans old enough to have been alive then – September 11, 2001.


So, one year, one month, and a few days after that dreadful diagnosis, she was gone.


Some days it is hard to imagine that it has been 20 years without her.  And other days it feels like an eternity since she was here.


So much has happened since she died – family weddings, births, illnesses, divorces, a global pandemic, family members purchasing new homes, and deaths.  Deaths of her daughter (my sister) and her husband (my dad). 

The family as she knew it - taken Easter 2002, a few months before she died. 
There have been 6 children added since this was taken and 2 spouses.  

A strange thing happens when something major occurs and a loved one is no longer alive to witness it.  There is always the internal monologue of, “I wish mom was here to see this…” or, the opposite, “I am glad mom is not here to have to witness this…”.


I planned to get up early today to celebrate Mary Day as I do every year, doing things that Mom liked to do.  Shopping.  Getting her nails done.  Cleaning the house (kidding, I wasn’t planning on doing THAT, even though she did do it a lot…).  Laundry (I am going to do that!).


But even though I have been thinking about Mary Day events all week, I couldn’t force myself out of bed before noon.  The sadness kicked in, and being cocooned in a warm blanket with a pillow over my head seemed much better than being in a shopping mall purchasing things I know I do not need. 


But I am up now.  And the sun is shining.  And no matter how hard I wish otherwise, Mom is still dead.  In fact, Dad is dead now, too, leaving me technically “an orphan”, though using that term at my age seems a bit overly dramatic.  But it is true, and me staying in bed won’t change that.


So, I will take a shower, get dressed, and head out into the world.  I will try and push my long to-do list about life to the back of my brain so that I can instead fill it with memories of Mom.

Mom and her brothers, circa 1972.  Robert, Russell, Mom, and Joe


And I will put forth my annual ask of YOU.  If your mom is still alive, no matter your age, please realize the extreme good fortune you have.  Make today a day that you think of her.  Call her.  Write her a REAL LETTER and not an email.  If you live near her, stop by and visit.  And give her one of the tightest hugs you can, please.  Do it for me.  Cuz lots of us can’t hug our moms anymore.  And we miss that. 


And one more ask.  If you see your mom today, or next time you see her, TAKE A PHOTO OF HER.  And take one of you WITH HER.  Because when she is gone, there will be no more photos to take.  There is a finite number of photos we are allowed in life.  And when she is gone, you will look through those photos and wish you had more.  So, take some.  Even if she says, “What are you doing??” or “Don’t take my picture, I didn’t do my hair today!”.  You will want to remember her with messy hair.  With pajamas on.  Dressed in her beautiful dress and smiling big.


You will want to remember her.  Just trust me on this one.


Happy Mary Day.

Mom's handwriting from a card she sent me.  I have this on a necklace now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and