Skip to main content

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter.


The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.  Bit by bit, every evening. 


This time of year is always a bit sad for me.  It is a form of closure.  Saying “goodbye” to another summer. 


Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.  In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn.


I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.  I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).  So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?

 

Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.

 

It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.  We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.  It was so fun catching up and chatting.  But getting in the car and buckling the seatbelt around me was a reminder that something was just not right.

 

As David drove (me urging him to please pick up the pace) I Googled my symptoms.  Ahhh, a urinary tract infection (UTI), that had to be it.  Not all of my symptoms matched, but enough that I felt semi-comfortable diagnosing myself (and the UTI verdict was so much more mundane than the other choices that swirled in my mind – a tumor, cancer, kidney stone…).

 

When we got home, I laid down in a warm bath (at David’s suggestion).  As I soaked, I dialed the number on the back of my insurance card for the 24-hour nurse hotline.  A pleasant woman answered and began the routine.  Name.  Date of birth.  “What would you have done if you hadn’t called the hotline tonight?” – the question in their script that I find idiotic.  I answered, “Googled my symptoms I guess, which I have already done”. 

 

I have used the nurse hotline a few times, so I know how it goes.  After getting all of the details squared away, the RN begins asking a list of questions (obviously following prompts on a screen).  When I called before there were quite a few questions, only this time we only got to number 5.  After I responded, she said, “You need to get to an Emergency Room within the hour”.

 

Well now.  That seemed a bit blunt, if not extreme.  Within the HOUR?  I imagined her screen now, with a big, red, flashing box screaming WARNING WARNING WARNING DO NOT ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS, SEND PATIENT TO THE ER STAT.

 

“Ummm, why so fast?  What could be wrong??” I asked aloud the question that certainly everyone who is read that answer must wonder.

 

She explained that if my bladder was too full for too long, it could affect my kidneys. 

 

Well then, let’s pop out to the ER.  I got out of the tub, dried off, put on mismatched flannel pajamas (where are the matching pants when you need them?) and got in the car for another uncomfortable ride.

 

I went through a check-in, got an IV put in and blood drawn, and gave them what little urine I could produce for them to run tests on.  Then we waited.  It wasn’t too long before they put me in a bed in an ER bay.  By that time it must’ve been midnight.

 

I should explain that my partner and I are not frequent ER visitors.  We are healthy for the most part.  We go to the doctor once a year for a physical, and probably average 2 more doctor visits for the remainder of the year.  So, this was an unusual way for us to spend our Friday night.

 

An hour passed.  Then two.  We played on our phones.  I closed my eyes and rested.  And we waited.  Two trauma calls went out while we were there – loudly announced over the PA.  Obviously, someone coming in injured in a car crash or a stabbing takes priority over the woman in the bed with a very uncomfortable belly.

 

I checked my email.  “Oh look, the blood and urine test results have hit my patient portal”.  After changing my password (who remembers a password that they have used 3 times in their lives…), I could see the info.  And to my non-medical eyes, it didn’t look good…

 

I tried to keep calm, even though what seemed like a LOT of the numbers showing on my screen were reading well above “normal”…  My mind raced – maybe it was not something simple after all…

 

But after another test, the doctor finally came in to visit.  She declared that the test results all looked fine (gee, that isn’t what those little charts looked like to ME) and that I didn’t seem to have anything wrong. 

 

Now to her credit, by the time she saw me, we had been there about 4.75 hours, and I DID feel much better than when we arrived.  Maybe I just needed to rest on a plastic covered bed for a bit and stare at a ceiling!

 

The doctor put me on a couple of meds for safe measure and said they will do a more comprehensive test on my urine to see if I should discontinue those pills or not.  She should let me know on Monday. 

 

And with that, the nurse took out the unused IV, I put my slippers back on, and we came home.

 

It wasn’t until we woke up this afternoon that I let my real emotions show.  David was in the tub, and I sat beside it and confessed.  And sobbed.

 

I am a realist.  I have seen enough illness and death to know that it comes to us all, and I accept that as fact.  No amount of sugar coating that concept makes it any less final.  We.  All.  Die. 

 

And I know from experience that a lot of those deaths begin with a visit to the ER.  Something doesn’t “feel right”.  You go in.  They draw blood.  They test it.  They draw more.  They do an MRI…  And then they give you the news.

 

Sure, there might be treatment or surgery or medication.  But the death begins with that diagnosis.  And we.  All.  Die. 

 

So, while this trip to the ER ended with a “thumbs up”, the next one might not.  Or the one after that. 

 

My days are getting shorter.  My sun is setting sooner.  Winter is coming. 

 

I won’t wallow in that fact.  I can’t – I have friends to laugh with, fresh strawberries to eat, and a free pantry to stock. 

 

But I won’t ignore it either. 

 

The seasons change.  The earth spins.  And my days get shorter.




Comments

Anonymous said…
This blog hit me profoundly as I am dealing with a medical issue right now; fortunately, I will live through this as well, but it does hit a bit harder as we face these things that the do get shorter and the sun sets quicker. Thank you for sharing.
Anonymous said…
Absolutely! I experienced this after losing my dad, my grandma, and my grandpa over a year and a half in high school. Definitely grappled with some anxiety for a while from the trauma. We’re just here for the blink of an eye. It’s a beautiful gift.
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad this time was not that dire, but was manageable. It certainly does give us a reminder of our own impermanence when something happens to our bodies. Glad you are balancing that reality with a clear determination to fully appreciate what makes life meaningful 💖

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and