Skip to main content

Corned Beef and Wheat Pennies

I had the sweetest thing happen to me today.  It reminded me of the importance of COMMUNITY.  I share it here in case you, too, need a reminder of how surrounding yourself with caring humans can make your world a better place.


Someone knocked on our front door this morning.  This is not unusual, our home has become a “community center” of sorts and we get a lot of doorbell rings and knocks. This time when I went to answer the door, I was greeted by a Pantry guest that I know as “Mr. Corned Beef”.  I call him this (not to his face, it is my nickname for him) because his favorite thing to get at the pantry is….  You guessed it - corned beef!

 

Now, Mr. Corned Beef doesn’t usually come to the door.  He stops by the pantry periodically and gets what he needs, then moves on.  If I see him out there I often pop out to say hello (and ask if he needs corned beef, which he usually does).  We’ve had some nice conversations.  He is a very snazzy dresser, and when I remarked about that to him one time, he told me that he picks out his outfit for the next day the night before.  Ahhhh, see, the things you learn when you talk to strangers!!

 

I know from talking with him that he loves old coins and is quite proud of the wheat pennies that he has found on the streets.  He finds it remarkable that people would pass by them on the ground and not stoop down to pick them up.  They are, after all, “very valuable!!”.  He knows the year and the value of each of them and carries them proudly in his pocket. 

 

A neighbor of ours was cleaning out a home a few months ago and asked if there was anything that Kindness Activist would like from it.  There was a collection of old pennies, so of course I thought of Mr. Corned Beef and asked for those.  I saved them for a few months because I didn’t see him pass by.

 

Then finally, last week, I saw him at the pantry.  I ran out to stop him before he walked off.  “I have a gift for you!!  Something special!” I told him, and I asked him to wait while I ran to get it. 

 

He was very happy as he put the old coins in his bag and thanked me.  I could just imagine what fun he would have that evening pouring over them – finding treasure after treasure after valuable treasure.

 


Fast forward to today, when his knock on the door had a sense of urgency to it.  He was upset as he explained a predicament he was in.

 

“You need to call the police!” he told me.  “They came and took those pennies!  They think I stole them from you.  You need to call them and tell them you GAVE THEM TO ME.”

 

Oh my.  What had happened here?  I probed for some details.  Apparently, in his mind, his friend must’ve told the police that he stole the coins.  Then the police, working in tandem with his landlord, went into his apartment to retrieve them. 

 

Thinking rationally, this story didn’t appear to make sense.  But to him it was obviously very, very real and he was irate.  Those pennies were HIS! 

 

“Maybe your friend took them??” I asked gently.  But no, he did not think his friend would do such a thing.  I NEEDED to call the police to make sure they knew that he did not steal those coins.

 

I took down his information – name and address.  I told him I would call the police and sort it out for him.  Honestly, I was not sure HOW to do that or WHAT to do, but I had made a promise, so I set about doing it.

 

I must add here that I understand that this man’s lived experiences are much, much different than my own.  He is from a different era.  He is from a time when black men such as himself were not given respect, were not presumed innocent.  And the fact that the police now, in his mind, suspected him of stealing was a very dangerous thing.

 

So, I called the non-emergency number of the police. 

 

It was awkward…  I tried to explain the situation to the call taker, and when I paused, there was silence.  For several seconds – silence.  I thought maybe the person had hung up on me.  But no, they were still there, they just were not sure what to make of this situation.  “Ma’am,” the call handler said, “The police would be contacting YOU if they thought this person stole from you.”  

“Yes, yes, I understand that.  However, in this gentleman’s mind, this is what has happened.  I want to make sure that he is safe.”

 

“Would you like to file a report??”

 

“Well, no.  I do not want to make this worse than it already is…  I just, I don’t know.  I TOLD HIM I would call…  I just don’t want him thinking that the police are after him…”.

 

The call taker ended up giving me the phone number for the Investigations Unit.  Maybe this was his way of “passing the buck”, I don’t know, but it ended up being the exact right thing to do.

 

I nervously called Investigations.  I introduced myself and started to tell the story of what was happening (again).  But the woman on the other end of the phone said, “Wait a minute – you are Susan Gaines?  Like, Susan Gaines in Buy Nothing?”. 

 

“Yessss!  Are you in Buy Nothing, too??” I laughed.

 

“Yes I am!  Your husband came and picked up some gray boots from me that were for you.”

 

“I WEAR THOSE BOOTS ALL OF THE TIME!  I LOVE THEM!  Thank you!!”

 

Community.  Connection.

 

And all of the sudden, the story I needed to report did not seem as strange.  Did not feel as awkward to recount.  And the perceived problem did not seem as impossible to solve.

 

The woman listened intently and was very kind.  She explained that the police would never go into a home without a warrant.  We talked about it a bit and she offered to send an email to officers explaining the situation.  I asked that she tell them to just talk to my friend a bit if they see him, and let him know that they understand and believe that the coins were a GIFT to him and they know he did not steal them.

 

Then she offered something even more kind.  She gave me her direct phone number and asked that I give it to him next time I see him.  “I will talk to him,” she said.  “Have him call me.  I will explain it to him.”

 

So caring.  So kind.  And so respectful.

 

Mr. Corned Beef told me today as he was leaving that he didn’t sleep at all last night.  He was upset at the injustice.  I hope that he can get some rest tonight.  I hope that he can sense that he is respected and cared for and has COMMUNITY. 

 

Because we all deserve that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and