Skip to main content

The Big Yellow Chapel Is Open For The Season


We all have our take on organized religion.  Much of our perspective is probably shaped by our religious experiences growing up. 

I don’t normally talk about religion because it is such a hot button issue.  And, in my experience, if you tell someone you are not religious, a cloud falls over the conversation.  It is as if suddenly their view of you changes, you are judged not for what you are, but for what you are NOT.

But in doing some spring cleaning recently I got to thinking about it all. 

You see, we have a PEW on our porch.  A real, live, honest to goodness CHURCH PEW.  We got it for free when a neighborhood church decided to close and let itself be replaced by affordable housing (which is something in short supply around us).  I saw a posting saying that they had pews to give away, and for some reason I felt like I really needed one…

Our pew
It was an odd addition to our house, really.  I don’t “do” Pinterest, so there are not quaint, crafty items in our décor.  In fact, there really is no décor…  With us, if it functions, it stays.  (Full disclosure – just this month we have been talking about replacing our purple velvet sofa that we have had for over 19 years, so I guess there is a limit even for us…)  But something about the idea of a pew on the porch called to me…

And when we went to the church to see it, I couldn’t believe it.  It was basically the same pew I grew up sitting on every Sunday morning!!  It had the hymnal holder on the back, the rounded top, it even has the teeny tiny communion cup holders!  It was painted in some spots, whereas the pews in “our church” were all stained wood, but this was as close to “original” piece of my childhood as I could imagine getting.  And it even had a purple cushion, which matched our porch!!!

Hymnal holders and small spots for tiny communion cups
One borrowed truck and help from a new neighbor later – the pew found a home on our front porch.

Let me say this:  the pew brought back a lot of emotional baggage.  It made me think of the hours I spent sitting in a very similar one.  Some of the memories were happy – standing next to my Grandma Thompson and singing “This is My Story, This is My Song,” at the top of my lungs…  Quietly making small pen marks on the front of the bulletin, then giving it to my cousin Kristine and watching her hunt for them.  Holding my mom’s hand, removing one of her rings, and putting it on my own finger.  The smell of communion grape juice and the clinking of the tiny plastic cups it was served in.  And staring at the wooden ceiling, wondering if a big plank fell, who would be crushed…  (yes, I did that every Sunday, I guess I was a weird kid).

But the pew also brought back a lot of really bad memories.  I don’t need to go into all of those here, but suffice it to say, the bad memories are what flooded in. 

The really horrible memory, the one that I replay and regret to this day, is one that happened long after I moved away.  I was visiting my family and went to church with them.  The “pastor” stood up in front of the entire congregation and proclaimed that gays should not be allowed in the military.  I sat in that pew.  I sat there while he “preached” hatred and divisiveness.  And.  I.  Did.  Nothing.

I don’t think I ever walked back into that building again voluntarily – that is to say, if it wasn’t a family occasion that warranted my attendance. 

So, why a pew on my porch??  If the memories of sitting in a similar one cause such angst, why relive it at my own home?  I am not sure, really. 

Since bringing home the pew, I have called that part of the porch “The Church of the Big Yellow House”.  But now I realize that is wrong.  “Church” holds a lot of negativity for me, and the name alone leaves people out.

I think perhaps CHAPEL is a better moniker.  A chapel that welcomes all – gay, straight, black, white, American, immigrant, married, single, childless, reproducer, clean, high, sick, healthy, any religion (or no religion), any age, any anyone. 

Stained glass soon to be hanging in the Big Yellow Chapel
The pew somehow brings about a sense of peace.  Sitting on it, reading a book, watching traffic, drinking wine, thinking. 

I am glad that I have grown.  Now that I am older, I like to think I would not sit silent if a “leader” espoused divisiveness and hate from a pulpit.  I would like to believe I am now a person who, when confronted with a bigot who “preached” that people who are gay are anything but equal, would be strong enough to stand, and with a loud but likely wavering voice, pronounce that he was WRONG, and that US Air Force Senior Airman Zach Wheeler, my nephew-in-law, is proof of that.  And, if I could not find the courage to speak, I believe that I would indeed have the strength to stand, take a deep breath, and exit as he continued to speak, hopefully leading out more like-minded people who believe that love is love.

Thank you for your service, Zach.  You are a very welcome and loved part of our family.
So yeah.  The Chapel of the Big Yellow House is open for the season.  You won’t find any pulpit or religious materials in this chapel.  But if you want to stop by and sit a spell, let me know.  I can make room for you (and maybe even serve you a cold glass of lemonade while you sit and breathe).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and