Skip to main content

A Couch (in 3 Boxes) - complete with "flip-page video"!


This is the story of a couch.

A couch that came in 3 boxes.

We popped into Ikea in Jacksonville, Florida to pick up some NAPKINS.  Napkins.

We left with a couch.  A couch in 3 boxes.

But, only 1 box would fit in our Prius.  Try as we might to squeeze the other 2, or even 1 more, in, only 1 would fit.

The family next to us took pity.  They had planned ahead.  They did NOT go to Ikea for napkins and come out with a couch (in 3 boxes).  They came to Ikea with a list, and stuck to it.  And before beginning their shopping, they rented a flat bed to haul their boxes home. 

Unlike us.

But they smiled at us.  Giggled at our attempts to mash oversize boxes in an undersize car.

And in the end, for $25 they hauled 2 of our boxes to their home, which was a wee bit closer to ours, and held them until we could go home.  And drop off box #1.  Then head back…

We had driven 90 minutes to get to Ikea.  And now 90 minutes home, with box #1.

Then 75 minutes back to the kind strangers, who met us at Starbucks with box #2 just as it started to rain.

75 minutes back home.  Then back in the car (this time only David, I had tired of the driving and the boxes and the excitement had long worn off…).  75 minutes to the kind strangers, then 75 minutes back home with box #3, the final box.

They sat in the garage, those 3 boxes, for a month as life rolled on.  Work, beach, travel, shows, and just life in general.  The boxes awaited, covered with a fine coating of soot from the new roof put on right overhead.

Until finally we said – let’s do it!  Let’s bring those 3 boxes in and make us a COUCH!

So, in they came – those 3 big boxes.  They paused in the dining room, taking up much of the space.

Because, how could we put the new couch together when the OLD couch still remained?  Yes, we must get rid of the old before bringing in the new.

The couch was listed for sale. 

We waited.

No interest.

We lowered the price.

A bite!  That never replied…

We waited.

And waited.

And meanwhile, the 3 boxes were walked around, squished around, taking up the dining room space.

We lowered the price.

A bite!

That once again, dissolved into thin air.

It was garbage night.  We had walked around those boxes and bruised our shins long enough – OUT WITH THE OLD.

But it was heavy, that old couch.  For it contained a pull-out bed. 

And it was LARGE, that old couch.  Almost too wide to fit through the front door.

But we pushed.  And we shoved.  And we sweated.  And we grumbled.  Until that old couch popped right through the door and into the sun.

But how to move it to the curb?  It no longer slid.  We were tired.  We were hot. 

We inched it.  And flipped it.

And just as we stood in the middle of the driveway with the couch on its’ end, stretching over our heads, we had an idea:

A DOLLY.  If only we had a dolly, we said.

David kept the couch up while I searched the block.  A dolly to borrow, please, someone nearby?

But no one was home (at least they didn’t answer). 

But just as I turned to sulk back in defeat, the neighbor saw our despair.  He smiled to see us in the awkward situation and offered his help – AND A DOLLY!

So just like that it was OUT WITH THE OLD.  I taped up 2 signs – NEEDS A NEW HOME and FOLDS OUT TO BED.  We just KNEW by nightfall it would find a good home.

But when we returned, the couch was still there. 

Sitting in the dark.  Our old, sad, couch.

And in the morning, STILL THERE…

But wait – a mystery…  Someone had TIPPED THE COUCH onto it’s back!!  What?  Why????

A quick trip to the end of the driveway by my sweetheart in his jammies. 

Return to the house.  “Uh, Sue, you need to see something…”.

Two pajamaed people tip toe to the upturned couch. 

WHAT?  Someone went to the trouble of CUTTING OUT THE METAL bed part??  Yup.  It’s Florida – even in a nice neighborhood, scrappers are huntin’ on garbage night.

What was left was the sofa, the uncomfortable mattress, but no GUTS.  No one was going to give this thing a new home.

But wait!  The garbage men to save the day!!!  They called for a special pick-up and the next morning it was gone. 

Which leads us to –

The 3 boxes.

The living room floor was cleaned.  The boxes were moved.

And the humans were tired.  The boxes could stay closed another day, no?

Yes.

FINALLY, after 41 days, the COUCH WOULD BE COMPLETE.

Box 1 – open.

Box 2 – open.

Box 3 - …    

Wait.

What?  &^%**$

The piece of metal on the pull-out bed part is BENT??

Bit of playing with it – no, cannot bend it back.

Phone calls to Ikea – of course no human (Swedish or otherwise) answers.

Panicked hunt for receipt (never found).

And reboxing all items in box 3.

Shove box and humans into car, and start the 90 minute drive back to Ikea.

Unload.  Returns area.  Take a number.  Emptiest Ikea I have ever seen.  Immediately got called up.  Found receipt in system.

Confirm – yes it’s bent.

Check system to find identical item to exchange.  And check.  And check.

I can tell by the look on her face – there is no item to replace…  But she doesn’t want to say it.  Yet.  Check.  Check.

Admit.

Discontinued.  None in stock.

DAMN.

What to do???

Other workers called.  Yes, it’s bent.  Maybe a hammer??

(A hammer???)

Let’s try pliers.

Still bent.

How about another color???  We could take a piece off another one?

No. 

Sigh.

Ok – the hammer.  But I can’t look.  I will run through Ikea while you do the pounding.

Meanwhile – 2 more broken parts are discovered…

And I blindly shop. 

Cool new extension cord!  Orange!  We don’t need it – let’s get it!!

Back to returns.  Still trying.  Called Orlando – out of stock. 

Out of options.

I talk my way into getting $40 back (Hey, it is busted!) and we re-pack the car with the same box #3 that we came with.

And drive the 90 minutes back home.

We lay out the bobs and the bits. 

We work methodically (with wine) and connect A with B with C with D.

Break for dinner.

Back to work.  And wine.

And work.

And voila.

We have a new couch.  A couch from 3 boxes.  It’s a bit wonky on the bottom, but it’s a couch. 

A couch in 3 boxes.


And now, for your viewing pleasure, here is the story in a quick VIDEO.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and