Skip to main content

Firsts. And Lasts.


I have been thinking a lot this past week on what seems to be an over-emphasis on FIRSTs in our culture.

The first steps.

The first tooth.

The first born.

The first time to have sex.

The first haircut.

The first word.

The first car.

The first time to roll over.

First.  First.  First.  We photograph them.  We brag about them.  Heck, we even make BOOKS about them.



And I have wondered why the lack of acknowledging the LASTs…

Is it because the LASTs are so scary?  Too frightening to confront?

The last time to drive.

The last time to speak to your loved ones.

The last smile

The last time to walk.  To run.  To jump.

The last time to shop.

The last time to kiss.  To hug.  To make love.

The last vacation.

The last meal.

If we could embrace the LASTs as much as we do the FIRSTs, would that make them more meaningful?  More tender?  Might they not be as frightening to us?  If the lasts were something to cherish as much as the firsts, would our perspective on them change to something to be celebrated instead of mourn?

Today we surrounded my sister as she took her last breath.

And in the days prior, I was there for her last bite.  Her last drink.  Her last big foray out into the “real world”.    

It is hard to fathom that I have given her the last kiss.

Seen her smile for the last time.

Hugged her the last time.

And heard her incredible laugh the last time.

But I have.  She is gone.  No more firsts, no more lasts.

I hope that the memory of her last year – savoring her lasts – sticks with me and inspires me to focus more on every little thing.  Because each tiny thing could be a last.

May memories of Annette’s bold determination and spirit of life since diagnosis inspire us ALL to be more mindful of every day, every thing, every possible last.

Love you, sissy.  The Thompson Sisters will never be quite as strong ever again.   



Comments

PaHusker said…
This is beautiful. What a loving tribute to your sister. God bless you all and hold you in his loving hands in this difficult time.
Kath A said…
Beautifully stated Susan! Because we too are remembering firsts and lasts in our family, we can totally relate to what you are experiencing, feeling, cherishing. There would never be any lasts if there weren't firsts! Holding you all close in our prayers! Kathy Anderson
KSueH said…
This is so beautiful,thought-provoking, and inspirational! You sisters are amazing and loving.
Anonymous said…
What an inspiration and an incredibly beautiful journey of lasts with a one of a kind sweet sisterhood! Thanks for sharing it with us! You all are amazing.
Cathireno said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathireno said…
Absolutely beautiful! How truly blessed you were to have each other and to love each other as much as you did. Your mom and dad are pretty happy right now.
Lisa B said…
Beautiful. Crying here. You couldn’t have said it better.
Mary said…
I agree with what you said. The only problem is that knowing the first of things we do is easy but it is very hard to know when the last of anything we do will be for most people. Those of us with love ones who are terminal really are never ready for the last of anything their love one does but are more likely to be there to experience that bitter sweet moment. I watch my husband closely now but never want to get to the end as he seems normal now. I will hate to see him suffer but know that doing so will allow me to let go easier knowing the suffering will be over. I watched my father die a couple of years ago. The hospice nurse told us it could be any time, but he lasted a week after that. He was suffering so bad that last week, that I told him it was ok to go. I miss him so much and I'm so afraid of going through this with my husband now. I hate cancer. Remember the good times with you sister and she will always be with you inside.
Unknown said…
You're right ... this message is still so important and "spot on." Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and