Skip to main content

Johnny Day 2020

The thing about losing someone you love is, well, gosh there are so many things…

One is – if it happened yesterday, or if it happened 15 years ago, it still feels like it was too soon.

If it was sudden, or slow and expected, it still feels unfair.

And if it was a parent, it is heart wrenching.

Yes – the traditional “plan” is that the child outlives the parent.  That’s sort of the unwritten expectation.  And yes, reversing that order would likely be much more jarring and awful.  Even so, when it happens, especially if it is your last parent and you are left (an adult) “orphan”, you feel it with every ounce of your being.

Which brings me to – today is Johnny Day.  It is the 2nd anniversary of the death of my dad, John C. Thompson.  Those who were luckily enough to know him know that he was funny (laughed at his own jokes, sometimes so hard that it was difficult for him to get through the joke), liked to trick people (his poor friend Ed, how many times did he fall for that $10 bill trick…), was the epitome of patience (taught all 3 daughters to drive, then years later took care of his wife with dementia), and he was loving.  He was a generous, devoted father and liked when we would ask for his advice.  And he was an easy crier.  Every time I left the Omaha airport to fly home to DC (and that was often), he cried.  And I cried.

Dad with a huge halibut he caught in Alaska.  Sure, Dad was short,
but that is still a huge fish!

So, it is fitting that today, on his day, I cried.  I cried in the car.  Cried in the store.  Cried on the street.  Heck, I warmed up by crying last night.

Dad died in the middle of my sister Annette dying of GBM (glioblastoma, brain cancer).  I guess he checked out in a manner similar to his own mother, my grandma.  When Grandma Thompson died, Grandma Lee was very sick with cancer.  We were all so focused on Grandma Lee that Grandma Thompson’s death seemed to come out of left field.  As it was with Dad.  Everyone, including Dad, was so focused on Annette that we didn’t contemplate another family member would go before her. 

Dad had a massive heart attack in the middle of the night.  Luckily, David and I were staying at his house and he sent his wife down to get us.  We called 911, they rushed him to the hospital, and a few days later he had open heart surgery.  All went well.  The doctors said he was doing really good.  He had survived “the widow maker” (the horrible name for the kind of heart attack he had, and he said it over and over as if he were proud…). 

But the middle of the night phone call from the hospital proved the doctors were mistaken.  He didn’t make it.  We got to say goodbye and hug him, but we all knew it was only the machines keeping him alive at that point.

He died shortly before Thanksgiving, and just 12 days before his birthday.  He left behind a dying daughter, a very confused widow, and a family in severe grief and pain.

So today, on the 2nd anniversary of his death, I wanted to celebrate by remembering him when he was not in the hospital bed.  Remembering his laugh.  His warmth.  His tears.  And his love.  My sister Sherry and I giggled while texting last night thinking of all of the things we COULD do to honor him today.  Going boating or fishing was out of the question – it is 43 degrees here (plus we do not own a boat).  Repairing a roof seemed like a no-go…  So here are the things I settled on:

1.      Buy a Powerball ticket.  I actually bought 2 – one for me and one for David.  Dad loved playing the lottery.  I will let you know if we become millionaires!  (Actually if that happened I probably would not have to let you know because wherever you are you would hear me screaming.)

2.       I went to BJ’s (a big box store like Sam’s and Costco) with the plan to buy an eternity’s worth of something.  Dad and his wife Evelyn always shopped at the big box store, even though it was just the 2 of them in the house.  And they.  Bought.  Tons.  Of.  Stuff.  When we had to clean out the house after he died, I swear there was probably 40 bottles of cleaning products all unopened.  And they bought tons of FOOD, even though they never ever ate at the house!  It was funny.  So as of today, I now own a life-time supply of:  Windex, Spray and Wash, and Scotch tape.  Dad would love it.

3.       I wanted to leave someone a big tip.  Dad was a very generous tipper.  All of the servers loved him!  But, because of Covid, I am not eating out.  So, I popped into my favorite local coffee shop and gave the barista a $40 tip for my $5.50 drink.  It felt good to be able to share that love.

4.       I wanted to play Keno (David’s favorite betting game) but I don’t even know if we HAVE Keno where I live, plus, COVID…  BUT, when I went to buy my Powerball ticket I learned that Virginia has online KENO!!!  I had no idea!  So I picked some numbers and need to check the website to see if I have won.  😊

5.       I wanted to buy myself a sweater, because Dad had approximately 5,602 sweaters.  We always joked about it.  If you ever didn’t know what to get him for Christmas, Father’s Day, or his birthday, a sweater was the fall back present!  I didn’t find the perfect sweater but I got myself a really soft shirt instead.

6.       I needed to do an act of kindness for someone because Dad was super kind.  I decided to pre-pay for a family’s Thanksgiving meal at the grocery store.  I will write more about that later (I used funds from the Kindness Yard Sale), but it felt really good to know that the next family to come to the store to order their Thanksgiving spread would get it “on the house”.

7.  I worked a bit, because Dad worked a LOT.  He owned a roofing company and he continued to work long after he could have retired.  

8.       I bought a fancy bottle of wine to drink with dinner tonight.  Well, fancy for us…  Dad probably spent as much on a glass as I spent on the bottle. 

9.       And finally, I am re-joining the Cheese Club.  Dad loved good cheese and so do I.  I signed him up for the Cheese Club a few years ago and he really liked it.  They would email me before each shipment, which made a great excuse for me to call him.  “Dad!  Cheese is being delivered on Wednesday!  Be sure to call and tell me what you get!”.  I miss that man.  I wish I could call him tonight.  But I will think of him when my cheese club cheese arrives. 

Here comes the “ask” of my story.  If your dad is alive, please spoil him.  Write him a letter.  Give him a call.  Teach him how to use Zoom so you can see each other.  And if there is not a danger of spreading Covid 19 to him, please give him a big fat hug.  Because you are lucky to have him.  He is lucky to have you.  So celebrate him.

Thanks.

And Happy Johnny Day.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some cheese to order and some Keno numbers to check...

Christmas on Sanibel Island, Florida, 2002
Susan, Sherry, Dad, and Annette

P.S. - I almost forgot!  I also wore my THOMPSON ROOFING hoodie and used my "2018 Can Kiss My Ass" brand lotion.  Of course, I have long since used up the actual lotion but you can bet your sweet bippy I kept and refilled that bottle!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and