Skip to main content

One Turkey At A Time

A stranger rang the doorbell this afternoon.

That in and of itself is not so rare.  We often have visitors on our front porch. 

But this man rang the bell, and when David answered, they engaged in conversation.

The man wondered if we might have a turkey for him.  You see, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and he and his wife did not have a turkey to cook.

I was feeling overwhelmed with other “helping” tasks I was doing today, and I am embarrassed to admit that my first reaction to the request was, “What?  Someone is actually COMING TO THE HOUSE asking for a turkey?  Bizarre.”.

But when David later re-told more of their conversation to me, I was proud.

The man came to our house and asked because he knew he could.  He knew it would be a safe place, that he would not be looked down on, and that he might indeed find assistance.  He told David he remembers eating fresh peaches from our tree in summer.  He loves the signs of inclusiveness and kindness we put up.  And he has gotten warm clothing from our front gate before in winters past.

So, it was not just a random person ringing the bell asking for turkey.  It was a “neighbor”.  He may not live nearby, I do not know.  But he was a neighbor, a neighbor in need.  A human being with clear eyes, likely a kind smile behind his mask, and a tender heart.  It is not easy asking for help.  I can’t imagine the courage it took to walk up our front stairs and ring the bell.  But he did it. 

I offered him plates of Thanksgiving food for him and his wife.  A neighbor is organizing making extra plates of food to share with whoever does not have a meal tomorrow.  “Oh no, no, no maam.  We will be fine.  We will have food with family or friends.  It is just a turkey I am in search of”.  After I stepped away he told David the places he had already asked for a turkey.  The local food bank, a local agency that serves the homeless…  But no one had any turkeys left, and this made him sad.  You see, he and his wife just like the tradition of cooking a Thanksgiving turkey together. 

And who cannot relate to that?  Maybe cooking turkey is not your tradition, but certainly you have many.  Do you have any that you would be willing to perhaps sacrifice your dignity for?  That you would ring a doorbell for help with?

David took his phone number and we planned to go get him a turkey.  After we ran other errands we called him to see if he had been successful yet.  You could hear the smile in his voice when he realized it was David calling him.  “Why yes sir, I got a turkey!  I just came home from the grocery store.  Someone there bought one for me.  Thank you for checking on me.  God bless you.”

His love for his wife and for tradition were so strong that he was willing to step inside a grocery store knowing he did not have the money to pay for what he wanted.  But he must have been brave enough to ask.  And a kind soul heard and responded.

Keep your eyes and your heart open.  There are neighbors all around you.  Some may be desperate or brave enough to ask.  Others are asking in silence.  Help.  Hold out your heart to them.  Make the world better one turkey at a time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Days Are Getting Shorter

The days are getting shorter. The sun, that brilliant star that lights our lives, is setting earlier.   Bit by bit, every evening.   This time of year is always a bit sad for me.   It is a form of closure.   Saying “goodbye” to another summer.   Somehow, it is hard for me to couch it as saying “hello” to another winter.   In my mind I know that is logical, but in my heart, another summer has passed to mourn. I haven’t felt my best the last couple of days.   I put it down to stress – the big annual fundraiser I host is quickly approaching, and at the same time my job, my main source of income, is being threatened to disappear (health insurance along with it).   So yeah, stress could make my body not function properly, right?   Only, as the second day of feeling “off” wore on, it became harder and harder to ignore that things just weren’t right.   It came to a head on a 25-minute car ride.   We had met a friend for dinner and had a lovely time.   It was so fun catching up

The Girl Who Can't Ride a Bike

I am “the girl who can’t ride a bike”. I guess to be accurate, I should say that I WAS “the girl who can’t ride a bike”.   But it was such a big part of my identity growing up, that the never formalized (but often teased about) nickname stuck in my psyche. You know how most kids love to jump on their bikes and pedal around the neighborhood once they have figured out how to balance, brake, and GO?   Yeah, that wasn’t me.   I wasn’t that kid. I am not sure WHAT really happened. The one thing I do remember is being on a bike in my family’s garage in Omaha, Nebraska trying to ride my bike.   It must’ve been winter, otherwise, why wouldn’t I have been outdoors??   But I think my foot slipped off the pedal and I know for sure my knee hit the handlebar.   It hurt.   I remember crying. But I am guessing that it hurt my pride more than it hurt my knee.   I think I was already past the age where kids were “supposed” to ride a bike.   But then and there I must’ve secretly made

The Presents

We are old. Giving gifts has always meant a lot to me.  I was raised in a household that valued gifts, valued “things” actually.  At Christmas time, the base of our tree would be piled hiiiigh with presents wrapped in brightly colored paper tied with neatly curled ribbons.    Birthdays would mean being spoiled by more gifts.   Even Valentine’s Day came with a present.   So, without being overtly taught, I learned that love was shown by giving something tangible.   As I became an adult, I noticed people older than me asking for things for the holidays that I thought were silly – cheese, wine, nuts…   “Those aren’t PRESENTS,” I remember thinking. “Presents are touchable, physical things – things to be KEPT, not to be consumed.”   So, when I found my life partner, I showered him with GIFTS.   Gifts wrapped just as I had been subconsciously taught must be wrapped in beautiful paper, tied tight with a bow.   But it didn’t take long for me to notice that my love and